Tomato - 1 medium
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - few sprigs
Sambar powder - 1 tbsp
Cayenne pepper/Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/8 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/8 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Red chillies - 4
1. Wash the okra well and pat them dry. Let it dry for 4 -5 hours.
2. Wash mung dal and toor dal and cook till soft. Add medium chopped onions and tomatoes, turmeric and cook till tomatoes are mashed.
3. Cut the okra into medium slices. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and fry the okra till crisp. Add little salt and saute for a minute. Save the fried okra for later.
4. In the same vessel, heat a little oil. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and red chillies. When mustard seeds pop, add cooked dals, chopped cilantro, sambar powder, cayenne pepper (if required) and salt. Bring it to a boil.
5. Add fried okra and bring it a boil. If you like the okra too soft, cook it for a longer time.
6. Serve Bhindi Sambar with steamed rice.