Pistachios - 2
Charoli/Chironji - 1 tsp
How to prepare Basundi:
- Crush cardamom seeds and saffron in a mortar pestle to a fine powder. Chop the nuts of your choice and whole charoli.
- Boil milk in a thick bottom vessel, keep stirring. The thicker the milk, the quicker it will reduce. I prefer whole milk or full fat milk.
- As such, Basundi is quite easy to make and nothing is tricky here. But to avoid sticking, keep stirring at low heat once milk boils.
- When milk is reduced to half, add sugar, saffron, cardamom powder and nuts. I am not sure of an English name for Charoli and I haven't added any. In case you are using Charoli, do not chop it, add whole. Turn off the heat when sugar dissolves and you get the desired thickness. Garnish with nuts and enjoy creamy Basundi with Puri.
- For an instant version, you can use Sweetened Condensed Milk as well. Mix 2 - 3 cups of milk and a 14 oz (396 gm) container of condensed milk. Bring it to a boil. Add more or less milk so that the sweetness is balanced and you get the desired consistency.