Looking for a crunchy instant snack? Here is one - a quick lemony Mumbai style Bhel. No need of any Mint or Tamarind Chutneys. Just a few ingredients easily available in your kitchen and store bought Nylon Shev does the trick for a filling snack.
Puffed Rice/Kurmura - about 5 cups
Red Onions (finely chopped) - about 3/4 cup
Tomatoes (finely chopped) - about 1/2 cup
Grated Carrots/Gajar - about 1/2 cup (optional)
Roasted Peanuts/Shenga - about 1/2 cup
Lime Juice - 4 tbsp
Chat Masala or Aamchur Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Nylon Shev - about 1 cup
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves - few sprigs
How to make Instant Sooki Bhel:
- Discard the soft tomato pulp and finely chop the tomatoes. Finely chop onions and cilantro. And grate the carrots.
- If available, finely chopped raw green mango and pomegranate arils would be great for this Bhel as well.
- In a mixing bowl, add onions, tomatoes, carrots, cilantro, chat masala, chili powder, salt and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Instead of chili powder, minced green chilies taste great too.
- Now add peanuts, shev and puffed rice. Mix well and Bhel is ready.
- You don't have to be precise about the ingredients here. Add more or less lemon juice to suit your taste. For some crunch, I have used roasted peanuts. You can add fried peanuts and fried chana dal as well.