Okra/Lady's finger/Bhindi - 450 gms
Chopped Ginger - 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies - 2
Split Black Gram/Urad dal - 1/8 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi seeds - 1/8 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Jaggery or Brown sugar - 1 tsp
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Coriander/Dhania seeds - 1 tbsp
Dry Red Chillies (Byadagi variety) - 5
Tamarind - small piece
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
1. Roast red chillies, coriander seeds with few drops of oil till they turn golden brown and aromatic.
2. Grind roasted red chillies, roasted coriander seeds, grated coconut, tamarind, turmeric to a fine paste using about 1/2 cup water.
3. Heat about 1 tsp oil in a skillet or kadhai. Add mustard, fenugreek, black gram seeds. After the seeds pop, add diced (medium size) okra, finely chopped ginger and saute for a minute or two. Add about 1 cup water.
4. When the okra gets cooked, add ground coconut paste, lengthwise slit green chillies, jaggery and salt. Add more jaggery if you like it more sweet. Mix well and cook it at low flame for about 5 minutes. Add more water if required and cook till you get the desired consistency.
5. Serve hot Bhende Ghash with steamed rice or roti/chapati.