Thick Pohe/Parched/Beaten/Flattened Rice - 2 1/2 cups
Methi/Fenugreek Leaves - a bunch
Red Onion - 1 big
Potato - 1 medium
Green Chillies - 8
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
Curry Leaves - a sprig
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
1. Wash parched rice in water 2 - 3 times and drain the water after a minute. Keep it aside for 15 - 20 minutes.
2. Wash curry leaves and pat them dry. Julienne slice the onion and peeled potato. Place diced potatoes in a bowl of water to avoid darkening. Slit the green chillies lengthwise. Finely chop fenugreek and cilantro leaves.
3. Heat about 3 tbsp oil in a pan/skillet and add mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
4. After mustard seeds pop, add onions. When onions turn little soft, after about 5 minutes, add diced potato. Saute till potatoes get cooked.
5. Add fenugreek leaves, green chillies and saute for another 5 minutes or till fenugreek leaves wilt. Add little salt, turmeric and saute for about 2 minutes.
6. Check parched rice for softness. If required, sprinkle few drops of water. Add little salt and sugar to the soaked parched rice and mix it well with hands.
7. Now add parched rice, chopped cilantro to the pan and saute at low flame for 5 - 10 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat when turmeric is mixed evenly.
9. Serve Aloo Methi Pohe with a slice of lemon.