Tempered buttermilk/chaas/taak gets ready within minutes and tastes great with steamed rice. In Konkani, this is also called as Phanna Taak.
Curd/Yogurt - 1 cup
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves/Kadhipata - a sprig
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
1. Wash curry leaves and green chillies. Pat them dry. Crush the ginger piece.
2. Beat/Blend the curd with about 2 cups water, salt and turmeric. Add more water if required.
3. Heat 1 - 2 tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and asafoetida. When mustard seeds pop, turn off the heat. Alternatively, a garlic tadka can also be added.
4. Pour this tempering/tadka/phann over the curd. Add crushed ginger, chopped cilantro and mix.
5. Serve Taaka Kadi with steamed rice or as a drink.