Okra/Lady's Finger/Bhindi - 350 gms
Onion - 1 large
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Coriander Seeds/Dhania - 1 1/2 tbsp
Fennel Seeds/Saunf - 1 tsp
White Sesame Seeds/Til - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder/Cayenne Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Aamchur or Chat Masala - 1/4 tsp
1. Wash okra and pat them dry. Let the okra dry for 4 - 5 hours. Cut the head and tail parts of okra. Dice each one into 2 or 3 pieces. Finely chop onions.
2. Grind coriander seeds, fennel seeds and sesame seeds to a fine powder. Puree the tomatoes and ginger.
3. Heat 2 - 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add diced okra. Saute okra till they turn slightly brown. Save them for later.
4. In the same pan heat 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds. After few seconds, add chopped onions, little salt and turmeric. Saute till onions turn tender.
5. Now add tomato puree, coriander fennel sesame powder, cayenne pepper and chat masala. Add garam masala or your favourite spice mix as well. Saute till moisture is lost, about 7 minutes at low flame.
6. Lastly, add fried okra and salt. (Add salt keeping in mind salt was added earlier while frying onions.) Mix gently and cook for 3 - 5 minutes at low flame.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve Bhendi Masala with roti or rice.