If you are looking for some healthy appetizers cooked with less oil, you must give these nuggets a try. Baked Fish bites seasoned with Cajun spices. Generally breaded chicken or fish nuggets are deep fried in oil. I find baking a healthier alternative, where the crust is equally crunchy and the fish is nice soft and flaky.
Tilapia or any other fish - 1 pound
Cajun Seasoning - 1 1/2 tsp
Garlic Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Cayenne Pepper/Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Bread Crumbs - about 2 cups
Eggs - 2
Oil - 2 tbsp
How to bake Breaded Fish Nuggets:
- Dice the fish into bite size pieces. In a mixing bowl, add fish pieces, 1 tsp cajun seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Mix all the ingredients well and set it aside for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and grease it with 1 tbsp oil or cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add eggs, 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and little salt. Mix all the ingredients well with a fork or spoon.
- Dip the marinated fish pieces in the egg wash, followed by a coating of bread crumbs. Place the well coated fish pieces on the greased tray. Spray some more cooking spray (or 1 tbsp oil) on the fish.
- If time permits, refrigerate the tray for about 30 minutes, so that the bread crumbs stick well to the nuggets.
- Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes. Flip the pieces and bake for another 7 - 8 minutes or until the crust turns crisp. Cut a piece with a fork to check if fish is cooked and flaky.
- Instead of baking, you can shallow fry these nuggets in a pan as well.