A South Indian savory mixed dals/lentils pancake topped with green onions, green bell pepper, cilantro and green chilies.
Rice - 2 cups
Mung Dal/Split Green Gram - 1/4 cup
Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas - 1/4 cup
Urad Dal/Split Black Gram - 1/4 cup
Masoor Dal/Red Lentils - 1/4 cup
Toppings - Green Onions/Spring Onions, Coriander/Cilantro Leaves, Green Chilies/Jalapenos, Capsicum/Bell Pepper (Green and/or colored), Mustard Seeds
How to cook Mixed Dals Uttappam:
- Soak rice in one vessel and all dals in another vessel in water for 4 - 5 hours.
- Wash the soaked dals and rice well. Grind the dals to a fine paste. Grind rice slightly coarse, like Rava/Semolina.
- Mix ground dals and ground rice, add salt and ferment it overnight. Batter consistency must not be too thin, slightly thinner than idli batter. The batter level will rise almost to double after fermentation. Since masoor dal is added, the batter will get its light pink color.
- For toppings, finely chop the veggies of your choice. I have used cilantro leaves and mustard seeds.
- Heat a pan and spread a ladle full of batter evenly in a circular motion. Spread the dosa slightly thick. Add chopped veggies of your choice, few mustard seeds all over the dosa and drizzle little oil on top. Flip the dosa when the colour changes, pores are seen and batter dries a little. Roast both sides well.