Traditionally, a South Indian Uttappam is made of urad dal and rice. To include a variety of lentils in our breakfast, I started making Uttappa with multiple dals. Do try and let me know.
Rice - 2 cups
Mung Dal/Split Green Gram - 1/4 cup
Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas - 1/4 cup
Urad Dal/Split Black Gram - 1/4 cup
Masoor Dal/Red Lentils - 1/4 cup
Toppings - Green Onions/Spring Onions, Coriander/Cilantro Leaves, Green Chilies/Jalapenos, Capsicum/Bell Pepper (Green and/or colored), Mustard Seeds
How to cook Mixed Dals Uttappam:
- Soak rice in one vessel and all dals in another vessel in water for 4 - 5 hours.
- Wash the soaked dals and rice well. Grind the dals to a fine paste. Grind rice slightly coarse, like Rava/Semolina.
- Mix ground dals and ground rice, add salt and ferment it overnight. Batter consistency must not be too thin, slightly thinner than idli batter. The batter level will rise almost to double after fermentation. Since masoor dal is added, the batter will get its light pink color.
- For toppings, finely chop the veggies of your choice. I have used cilantro leaves and mustard seeds.
- Heat a pan and spread a ladle full of batter evenly in a circular motion. Spread the dosa slightly thick. Add chopped veggies of your choice, few mustard seeds all over the dosa and drizzle little oil on top. Flip the dosa when the color changes, pores are seen and batter dries a little. Roast both sides well.
Serve hot Uttappam with Coconut Chutney and/or Sambhar.
healthy and delicious...loved itReplyDelete
wow ,its so healthy n yummy ...looks so delicious ...i love to try thisReplyDelete
u know uma ,i got an idea of adding chopped onions n tomatoes to my chutney from u only :) u added onions to coconut chutney in one of ur recipe na .. i tried that way n the result was wonderful ..thanks uma
Thanks Sarah and Satya for the lovely words!ReplyDelete
Hey Satya, am glad you liked the chutney with onions. thats my dear Mom's recipe :)
I havent tried with tomatoes.. would be a good change..
Lovely and so tasty.ReplyDelete
very nice utthapam, different and nice toppings on itReplyDelete
love this uttappa..looks very healthy n delicious with all those veggies!ReplyDelete
Super delicious uthapam, looks fabulous..ReplyDelete
Delicious uttappam with nice toppings..love it.ReplyDelete
very gud idea dear!utthapam luks gr8!
healthy uthappam looks delicious....great umaReplyDelete
nice idea uma..looks deliciousReplyDelete
really delicious and healthy one. u hv added all the dals really yummy best bf..ReplyDelete
I love Uttappa..yours look very tempting indeed!ReplyDelete
looks very yummy. i wish to have with some coconut chutney now.ReplyDelete
Uma,a nice uthhappa as a tiffin with toppings.ReplyDelete
healthy dosa :) what more to ask .... thanks for the recipe ... I will definaltey try this :)ReplyDelete
AWESOME..its ma fav...ReplyDelete
very healthy with all those lentils...!!ReplyDelete
So how are you..
Thanks Friends for the inspiring words :)ReplyDelete
First time on your blog..ReplyDelete
Quiet an interesting recipes you have:)
I love these, it looks so good!ReplyDelete