Urad Dal/Split Black Gram - 1/2 cup
Rava/Sooji/Semolina - 1 cup
Baking Soda - 1/8 tsp (a pinch)
How to cook Konkani Rave Idli:
- Soak Urad Dal for about 2 hours. Wash soaked dal well. Grind soaked dal with about 1 cup water to a smooth fine paste. Let the ground urad dal ferment overnight, preferably in a warm place.
- Fermentation is not necessary. For instant idlis without fermentation, add more baking soda.
- Roast Rava at low flame until it turns aromatic, for 10 - 15 minutes. Let it cool.
- Grease the idli plates with little oil or cooking spray.
- Add the roasted rava, baking soda and salt to the fermented urad dal. Add enough water (about 1 cup) and mix well to remove lumps. The batter consistency must not be too thin.
- Pour this batter in the greased idli plates till 3/4th of each mold. Steam the idlis in an idli cooker for about 12 - 15 minutes. Remove the lid and let it cool for about 5 minutes. You will get about 18 idlis.
- If Idli cooker is not available, you can use a pressure cooker. Also, if the round idli molds are not available, you can use a regular steel vessel for steaming the idlis.