Coleslaw is a raw cabbage and carrot salad with a mayonnaise dressing. I am not a big fan of mayonnaise because of raw eggs used in it. This coleslaw recipe has a yogurt dressing with a few Indian tweaks. In Marathi and Konkani this curd salad is well known as Koshimbir.
Green Cabbage/Kobi/Pata Gobi - about 3 cups
Carrot/Gajar - about 1 cup
Yogurt/Curds/Dahi - about 1 cup
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves/Kothimbir - few sprigs
Pomegranate Seeds/Anardana/Dalimb - about 1 tbsp (optional)
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder/Kali Miri - 1/4 tsp
Cayenne Pepper/Red Chilli Powder - 1/8 tsp
Sugar or Honey - 1/2 tsp
How to prepare Cabbage Coleslaw:
1. Finely chop cilantro. Chop cabbage and carrots into long thin strands or the way you prefer. 1/2 cup of red cabbage can also be added.
2. In a big vessel, add hot water and little salt. Soak cabbage and carrots in this hot, salty water for about 20 minutes. Drain the water and rinse the veggies once again.
3. Crush the cumin seeds in a mortar pestle to a coarse powder.
4. In a mixing bowl, add yogurt, salt, sugar, black pepper powder, cayenne pepper and crushed cumin seeds. Mix well. Now add cabbage, carrots and cilantro. Mix well. Check for salt and pepper.
5. Garnish Cabbage Coleslaw with sweet pomegranate seeds. Easy tasty Cabbage Salad is ready.