Maadi is the Konkani name for Arum or Colocasia root or Taro root or Arvi or Arbi. Arum leaves or Colocasia leaves are used for making Patra/Patrado/Aluchi wadi.
Maadi/Arum - 250 gms
Rice - 1 cup
Dry Red Chillies - 10
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind Paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
1. Soak rice for 2 - 3 hours.
2. Roast the red chillies with few drops of oil till they turn crisp. Let chillies cool.
3. Peel the arum skin and cut it into round thick slices. Apply few drops of oil to your hands to avoid itching. Cook the arum pieces in water till they are half cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain the water.
4. Grind soaked rice, roasted chillies, turmeric, tamarind, salt and asafoetida to a fine paste. Tamarind is added to avoid the itching sensation of arum.
5. Dip the half cooked arum slices in the fine paste and deep fry in hot oil. Alternately, you can shallow fry in a pan as well. 6. If you do not have time for this lengthy process, use rice flour instead of soaking rice.