Usal in Marathi is a recipe of any bean sprouts like mung bean, black eyed peas/chawli etc. I have made Matkichi Usal which is a curry made of moth bean sprouts. Moth Beans are known as Matki in Marathi and Motu in Kannada.
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera seeds - 1/2 tsp
Goda Masala or any spice mix - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
How to cook Matkichi Usal:
- Soak Matki in water for 5 - 6 hrs. Half cup beans will double to one cup. Drain the water and keep it covered overnight to get sprouts.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/wok and add crushed garlic, cumin seeds. Saute until garlic changes to golden brown. Add finely chopped onions and saute till onions turn soft.
- Now add washed matki sprouts and 2 cups water. Cook the sprouts covered.
- After sprouts are cooked, add finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and goda masala.
- Stir well and cook the sprouts covered for 10 minutes or until you get the desired consistency.
Matkichi Usal is ready to serve with chapati or rice.