Dry Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans/Kabuli Chana - 1 cup
Cloves/Lavang/Long - 4
Cinnamon/Dalchini - small piece
Bay Leaf - 1
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - few sprigs
Red chilli powder/Cayenne pepper - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Onions - 3 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Green Chillies - 4
Garlic - 4 big cloves
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Coriander Seeds - 2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera Seeds - 1 tsp
1. Soak chickpeas in water for about 6 hours. Wash and cook soaked chickpeas in 2 - 3 cups water till soft.
2. Roughly dice onions and tomatoes. Grind onions, tomatoes, green chillies, ginger, garlic, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, 1 tbsp cooked chickpeas to a fine paste.
3. Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a pan/skillet. Add bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon. After a couple of minutes, add the ground paste. Stir fry the paste for about 10 minutes or till oil starts leaving.
4. Add cooked chickpeas, red chilli powder, and salt. Cook it covered for 10 - 15 minutes at low flame. Continue cooking till you get the desired consistency. Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro leaves.
5. Serve Chole with roti/chapati or steamed rice.