Fresh Methi (Fenugreek) leaves and green peas in a creamy sauce.
Fenugreek/Methi Leaves - about 2 1/2 cups
Green Peas/Matar - 1 cup
Bay Leaf/Tamal Patra/Tej patta - 1
Cloves/Long/Lavang - 4
Cinnamon/Dalchini - 1/2 inch piece
Cashews/Kaju - about 10
Almonds/Badam - about 10
Milk/Doodh - about 1 cup
Onion/Pyaaz/Kanda - 1 small
Green Chillies - 6
Ginger/Adrak - an inch piece
Green Cardamom/Elaichi - 1 pod (seeds only)
Coriander Seeds/Dhane/Dhania - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds/Saunf/Badishep - 1 tsp
1. Soak cashews and almonds in milk for 15 - 20 minutes. Roughly chop onions and fenugreek leaves.
2. Grind onions, green chillies, ginger, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom seeds to a fine paste with little water. Keep this onion paste aside.
3. Grind soaked cashews, almonds with milk to a fine paste and save it for later.
4. Heat about 1 tsp oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon. After few seconds, add green peas. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Add chopped fenugreek leaves. Continue cooking till the raw smell goes off and the leaves wilt.
5. Add the ground onion paste and salt. Saute at low flame for about 5 minutes.
6. Now add cashew almond paste. Cook till the gravy thickens, about 5 minutes at low flame.
7. Garnish with sliced almonds and serve creamy Methi Matar with roti or naan or puri.