Chickpeas are an excellent source of proteins for vegans and vegetarians. Today's protein rich bean salad with the natural sweetness of carrots and a tangy lemon dressing is quite refreshing. You need not worry about calories here as this salad is oil free and cheese free. This salad is popular as Chana Chaat all over India.
Dry Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans/Kabuli Chana - 1/2 cup
Grated Carrots - about 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1 medium
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
Chat Masala - 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cayenne Pepper/Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander/Cilantro/Dhania Leaves - few sprigs
Red Onions (finely chopped) - 2 tbsp
How to prepare Chickpea Carrot Salad:
- Soak chickpeas overnight. After soaking, 1/2 cup chickpeas will turn to 1 cup. Cook them in about 2 cups water until soft. Add more water if required. Add salt and bring it to a boil. You can use canned chickpeas or any other beans of your choice.
- Discard the seeds and the soft pulp of the tomatoes. Finely chop tomato and cilantro leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, add grated carrots, tomatoes, cilantro leaves, lemon juice, chat masala, black pepper powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Mix well. You don't have to be precise with the amount of ingredients, add everything to suit your taste.
- Drain the water of the cooked chickpeas. Lastly, add chickpeas to the bowl and mix all the ingredients well. Add more lemon juice to suit your taste. Set the salad aside for 20 - 30 minutes so that all the flavors blend well.
- Refrigerate the salad if you like it cold. Garnish with onions and enjoy.