Roti Sabzi is what I most commonly cook for our lunches. My favorites are curries with a variety of mixed vegetables. Kadhai Vegetables is one such colorful medley of different veggies.
Green/French Beans/Farasbi - 1/2 cup
Carrots/Gajar - 1/2 cup
Green Peas/Matar - 1/2 cup
Lima Beans (Frozen) - 1/2 cup (optional)
Bell Pepper/Capsicum - about 1/2 cup
Potato/Aloo - 1 small
Grated Coconut (fresh or frozen) - about 1/4 cup
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
Bay Leaf/Tejpata/Tamalpatra - 1
Onion - 1 small
Tomato - 1 big
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Coriander/Dhaniya Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala or any spice mix - 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala or Aamchur - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 5
How to cook Veg Kadhai:
- Medium chop green beans, carrots, bell pepper and potato. I used half yellow bell pepper for this recipe. You can use cauliflower, broccoli too. I used about 4 cups of veggies. Finely chop onions and cilantro.
- Steam green beans, carrots, potato, green peas and lima beans with little salt in a pressure cooker. Add a little water to the veggies only if required. Do not let the veggies overcook.
- Puree roughly diced tomatoes, coconut and dry red chillies (or red chilli powder) to a smooth paste. Add little water if required. I have used coconut to thicken the gravy. You can use nuts like cashews, almonds or heavy cream/malai to thicken the gravy.
- Heat about 2 tsp oil in a kadhai/wok. Add bay leaf and after few seconds add onions, ginger garlic paste and little salt. Saute until onions soften. Add diced bell pepper, coriander powder and cumin powder. Saute for a minute or two.
- Lastly, add the steamed veggies, tomato coconut paste, chat masala and garam masala. Cook it covered and bring it to a boil.
Garnish with cilantro and serve Vegetable Kadhai with roti, naan or paratha.