A simple stir fry of mixed vegetables with a mild coconut flavor and the natural sweetness of carrots. This stir fry does not require much oil and can be relished as a substitute for salad as well.
Green Cabbage/Kobi/Pata Gobi - about 3 cups
Carrots/Gajar - 2 big
Green Peas/Matar - about 1 1/2 cups
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 2
Green Chillies - 4
Curry Leaves/Kadipata - a sprig
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
Shredded Coconut (fresh or frozen) - 2 tbsp
How to cook Simple Stir fry with multiple vegetables:
- Thinly slice cabbage and carrots. Finely chop cilantro leaves and slit the green chilies lengthwise.
- Heat 1 - 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves and dry red chilies. When mustard seeds pop, add carrots and green peas. Sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Now add cabbage and cook the vegetables covered for about 2 minutes. Add green chillies, turmeric, salt and coconut. Cook until cabbage wilts and all the veggies are cooked as crunchy or as soft as you like.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve Mixed Vegetables Stir fry with roti or rice.
- You can try a few variations for this recipe. Instead of coconut you can use roasted peanut or shenga powder too. For a spicy stir fry, you can add a spice mix like Garam Masala, Pav Bhaji Masala as well. If you are a fan of Chinese stir fries, try a combination of soy sauce, Schezuan sauce.
- For a more colorful stir fry, you can use purple or red cabbage, bell peppers or capsicum and corn as well.