After a fun, relaxed weekend, getting back to the weekly routine is slightly boring. Our week started with these easy to put together vegetarian Black Bean and Mango Quesadillas. Spicy jalapenos and fruity mangos make this lazy meal quite flavorful.
Dry Black Beans - 1/2 cup
Cumin/Jeera Powder - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Mangoes (medium chopped) - 1 1/2 cups
Red Onions (finely chopped) - about 1/3 cup
Mini Red Bell Pepper (finely chopped) - about 1/2 cup
Jalapeno Pepper - 1
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves - few sprigs
Lime Juice - 2 tbsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Grated Pepper Jack Cheese
Butter or Oil
How to make Black Bean and Mango Quesadillas:
- Soak dry black beans in plenty of water for 6 - 8 hours. Wash the soaked beans well.
- Heat 5 - 6 cups of water in a pot. Add washed beans and cook until beans turn soft. Add salt, chili powder, cumin. Continue cooking until all moisture is lost.
- To save some time, you can use canned beans as well. You can add Taco Seasoning or Chipotle Seasoning to the cooked beans as well.
- A firm (not mushy) mango works best for salsa. Discard the seeds of the jalapeno pepper, red bell pepper and finely chop it. Finely chop cilantro leaves too. In a mixing bowl, add mangoes, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, 2 tbsp lime juice, fresh ground black pepper and salt. Mix and set it aside for about 2 hours, so that all the flavors blend well.
- Along with mangoes, you can add diced pineapple if you like Mango Pineapple Salsa.
- Heat a griddle/skillet for roasting the quesadillas. Grease the griddle with oil or butter.
- Place a tortilla on a big plate. Add all the toppings - grated cheese, cooked black beans and mango salsa. Place another tortilla on top and slightly press it. Roast both sides on the hot griddle until quesadillas turn slightly brown.
- Instead of 2 tortillas, you can use a single tortilla as well. Add the toppings on one half of the tortilla and fold it over.