Though the cold weather is long gone, these rainy days make me cook those wintry meals. Soups are perfect for such days... hot and comforting. Let me tell you about one of our family favorites - Vegetarian Broccoli Cheddar soup.
Broccoli Florets - 3 cups
Carrots (grated) - 1/2 cup
Onion (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
Whole Milk - 1 cup
Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated) - 1 cup
Garlic (finely chopped) - 1 big clove
Bay Leaves - 2
Dry Thyme - 1 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
Nutmeg/Jaiphal - 1/8 tsp
Rice Flour - 1 tbsp
Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
How to cook Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
- Heat oil in a big pan. You can use unsalted butter as well. Add onions bay leaves and garlic. Sauté until onions soften. Add carrots, thyme and nutmeg. Sauté for a couple minutes.
- Add rice flour and sauté for another couple minutes so that the raw flour smell goes away. Rice flour will help thicken the soup. You can use all purpose flour (maida) or corn starch or potatoes to thicken the soup.
- Now add 1 1/2 cups water, fresh ground black pepper, salt and broccoli florets. Stir and cook it covered until broccoli is cooked. Instead of water, you can use vegetable or chicken broth as well.
- Lastly, add milk and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Cook it covered at low heat for about 5 minutes or until you get the desired consistency for the soup. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Enjoy hot Broccoli Cheddar Soup with a bread of your choice.