Let me tell you my quick way of making everyone's favorite Masala Dosa.
Rice Flour - 1 cup
Urad Dal Flour/Split Black Gram Flour - 1/3 cup
Besan/Chickpea Flour/Gram Flour - 1/4 cup
Thin Poha/Flattened Rice - 1/3 cup
Water - 2 1/2 cups
Oil or Unsalted Butter
How to make Instant Masala Dosa:
- In a blender/grinder add rice flour, urad dal flour, besan, thin poha, little salt and 2 cups water. Blend/grind until all the ingredients are mixed well. Stir with a spoon or spatula and pulse the batter again for about a minute. This will aerate the batter a little.
- Set the batter aside for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you'll notice the batter has thickened. Now add the remaining 1/2 cup water and beat the batter well. The batter consistency is thick enough to coat a spoon, but thin enough to be easily spread with a ladle. At this point, you can add 1/4 tsp baking soda if you like. Baking soda helps the dosas turn more crisp. I didn't add soda for my batter.
- Heat a flat cast iron pan or a nonstick pan. I prefer a cast iron pan. Lightly grease the pan with oil or butter or cooking spray. Butter gives a nice brown color to the dosas.
- Pour a ladle full of batter in the center of the hot pan. Spread the batter with the ladle, clockwise in a circular motion. Drizzle some oil or butter. Add butter or oil generously for the dosas to turn more crisp.
- The edges will start leaving the pan after a minute or so. When the dosa starts turning brown, spread Potato Bhaji on the dosa and fold it. You can flip the dosa and roast the other side as well.