Hey everyone! Cooler weather has blessed us. Morning walks are so much fun these days. A song comes to my mind " Autumn leaves are falling down, falling down. Oh, so pretty!" My kiddo's favorite fall song!
Today's post is an Indian Vegetable Flatbread, popularly known as Gujarati Thepla. Instead of Fenugreek leaves, I sneak in multiple veggies for my child's everyday meal.
Whole Wheat Flour/Atta - about 2 cups
Besan/Chickpea Flour - 1/2 cup
Grated Carrots - about 1/2 cup
Grated Beetroot - about 1/2 cup
Avocado - 1/2
Chopped Spinach - about 1/2 cup
White Sesame Seeds/Til - 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander/Dhania Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin/Jeera Powder - 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
How to cook Mixed Vegetables Thepla Paratha:
- Finely grate carrots and beets. Pat spinach leaves dry.
- In a food processor, add sesame seeds and spinach leaves. Blend until finely chopped.
- In a big mixing bowl, add grated carrots, beets and chopped spinach. Mash avocado. Now add all the seasonings - cumin powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, chat masala, garam masala and salt.
- Vegetables like zucchini, pumpkin, bottle gourd work well for this paratha. Feel free to use any veggies you like.
- Add more or less black pepper, garam masala to suit your taste.
- Mix well, cover and set it aside for about an hour. If time permits, cover the bowl with food wrap and refrigerate it overnight.
- Veggies will turn watery. Add chickpea flour. Start with 1 cup of wheat flour. Mix well. Keep adding more flour and kneading until you get a soft, pliable dough.
- Generally, oil or butter or ghee is added to the dough to make the paratha soft. I did not add any fat, since Avocado makes the parathas fluffy and soft.
- Cover the dough with food wrap and let it rest for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 balls. Flatten each one and roll dusting some flour. Roll it as thin or thick you would like your parathas.
- Roast both sides of the rolled paratha on a hot griddle/tawa. Feel free to apply some butter or ghee if you like.
Enjoy Avocado Beet Thepla with a chutney, achar or a curry. See you soon!