Hey everyone! How is your summer going? Our summer break is ending soon. I am online shopping for some last minute back to school essentials. On the other hand, Hindu holy month of Shravan has begun. One of the new things I tried this season is Eggless Fruit Custard. A homemade cooling dessert for summer days.
Eggless Custard Powder - 4 tbsp
Whole Full Fat Milk - 1 litre
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Green Cardamom/Elaichi - 4 pods
Saffron/Kesar - few strands
Apple - 1
Banana - 1
Chopped Nuts - 1 tbsp
How to make Fruit Custard:
- Heat a big thick bottom pot. Add milk, whole cardamom pods and bring it to a boil.
- Pour 3 - 4 tbsp of lukewarm milk in a small bowl. Add custard powder and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps. Add saffron strands too. You can add more or less custard powder if you like.
- I used Eggless Pistachio Custard Powder available at a local Indian grocery store.
- When milk starts boiling, using a slotted spoon take out the cardamom pods. Discard the cardamom pods. I like how cardamom flavors the milk.
- Add sugar and stir well.
- Now comes the important step. Add the custard powder and milk mix to the boiling milk. Stir continuously until the milk thickens enough to coat the spoon. Some of my friends cook this at low flame. I cooked it on high flame for about 6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Taste the cooked custard for sugar. Add more or less to suit your taste.
- In the same hot pot, cover the cooked custard with aluminum foil. Be careful since the pot is hot. Some use plastic food wrap to cover it. Make sure you cover the custard completely, to avoid a thick layer of cream forming on top.
- You can pour the hot custard in a serving bowl and cover it with food wrap or aluminum foil.
- I prefer the cooking pot. In case the custard doesn't set, I can cook it again for a few minutes.
- Refrigerate the cooked custard until it sets. I refrigerate it overnight. 10 - 12 hours works well for me. If for some reason the custard hasn't thickened, you can cook it again.
- Chop fruits into bite size pieces. I used a Honey Crisp Apple and a banana. You can add grapes too. Add chopped fruits of your choice to the set custard. Mix well and garnish with chopped nuts. I like cashews and pistachios.
Enjoy refreshing cooling Fruit Custard with your loved ones.