Boiled Potatoes - 3 medium
Yellow Peas/Vatana - 1 cup
Asafetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/4 tsp
Ajwain/Owa/Carom seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin/Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/4 tsp
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - 1 cup
Mint/Pudina leaves - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 5
Dates/Khajur - 1/2 cup
Jaggery or Brown Sugar - 2 tbsp
Tamarind/Imli - 1/4 cup
Finely chopped Raw onions
Shev or Bhujia or Farsaan
How to cook Indian Ragda Pattice:
- Soak yellow peas overnight in water. Wash the soaked peas and cook them with about 2 cups water till very soft. Add more water if required. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric, salt, asafetida and bring to a boil.
- For green (hot) chutney, grind 2:1 cilantro and mint, green chilies, salt to a fine paste. Add very little water for a thick chutney.
- For sweet sour (khatti meethi) chutney grind dates, tamarind and jaggery to a fine paste using little water. Soaking the dates in hot water for 20 - 30 minutes will make grinding easy. Change the amount of tamarind and dates to suit your taste for sweetness and sourness.
- Dilute both the chutneys with more water if you like. Add little more salt if required.
- Peel the boiled potatoes. In a mixing bowl, mash the boiled potatoes. Add ajwain, cumin, red chili powder, salt and 1/4 tsp chat masala. Mix all the ingredients well and make round balls of this potato mixture. Flatten them with palms to form a pattie/pattice. Shallow fry these in a frying pan using oil. Fry both sides till golden brown.
- In a serving bowl or plate, add about 1 - 2 tbsp boiled peas, add green and sweet sour chutney as much you like, a pinch of chat masala (optional) and mix well. Add 1 or 2 fried potato patties.
Garnish with finely chopped raw onions, shev and cracked puris.