Usal is a protein rich Marathi curry made of bean sprouts. Misal, a popular street food of Mumbai is a similar recipe made of variety of beans. Today's Usal recipe is of mixed 15 beans - chickpeas, red kidney beans, black beans, split peas and so on. These are available as dry 15 Beans or 16 Beans Soup.
Mixed 15 Beans - 1 cup
Onion - 1 medium
Potato - 1 medium (optional)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander/Dhania Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cayenne Pepper/Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
How to cook Usal using 15 Beans:
- Soak the mixed beans 4 - 5 hours. Soaking will help the beans cook well. Wash the soaked beans well.
- Finely chop onions and cilantro. Dice the peeled potato into medium slices.
- Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add onions and sauté until onions soften. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for another minute.
- Now add the soaked beans and about 2 cups water. Cook it covered until beans turn soft. Add more water if required. Add potatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add all the spices - chat masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, black pepper powder and cayenne pepper. Cook it covered at low flame until potatoes turn soft and all the flavors blend well, about 5 minutes.
- Chat Masala adds a slight tang to the curry. You can use tomatoes, tamarind or aamchur (mango powder) as well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve Mixed Beans Usal with roti or bread. Sprinkle some lemon juice if you like.