Green Chillies - 4
Ginger - an inch piece
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves - few sprigs
Curry Leaves - a sprig
How to make Medu Vada:
- Soak urad dal in plenty of water for 4 - 5 hours.
- Grind urad dal to a smooth thick paste, adding as little water as possible. Batter must be thick and not runny. At the same time, too thick batter will make the wada hard.
- Finely chop curry leaves, green chillies, cilantro leaves and coconut slices. Add it to the ground urad dal batter. Also, add rice flour, fresh ground black pepper, cumin and salt. Beat the batter well. Rice flour is not essential, but it makes the wada crisp.
- You can add a pinch of baking soda to the batter as well.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Wet your hands with water and add one small ball of the batter to the medium hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown. Taste for seasonings and add more salt to the batter, if required. Repeat the same for the rest of the batter. Do not overcrowd the frying pan. Let the frying be a slow process, so that the wada turns golden brown on the outside and is cooked on the inside as well.