1. Soak rice and urad dal separately for 4 - 5 hours. Soak Methi seeds with rice.
2. Wash rice and urad dal. Grind urad dal to a very fine paste and rice slightly coarse, like semolina. Mix ground rice, ground urad dal, salt and ferment it overnight. The batter consistency is thinner than idli batter. The batter will rise almost to its double after fermentation.
3. Finely chop onions, green chillies, cilantro and carrots.
4. Heat a pan and spread a ladle full of batter forming a circular shape. Add chopped vegetables all over the dosa and drizzle oil. Flip the dosa after a minute or two. Roast both sides well.
5. Serve hot Uttappa with coconut chutney and/or sambhar.