Konkani Baingan ka Bharta. Charred/Roasted Eggplant with coconut and raw onions.
Eggplant/BrinjalBaingan/Vaangi - 1 big
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Red Onion - 1 small
Green Chillies - 2
Dry Red Chillies (Byadagi) - 2
Tamarind paste - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Oil - few drops
1. Wash the eggplant and pat it dry. Make 3 - 4 long slits to check for worms. Apply oil to the eggplant and roast it on a stove top. Alternatively, you can place the eggplant in a broiler as well. Place a pan underneath in a broiler to collect the juice. Roast till the eggplant skin turns black and crisp. Keep turning from time to time. Discard the juice.
2. Keep the hot charred/roasted eggplant covered with a vessel for 15 - 20 minutes.
3. Finely chop onion.
4. Grind grated coconut, red chillies, green chillies, turmeric, tamarind and salt to a fine paste with little water.
5. Peel the eggplant skin. After roasting, the skin will come off easily. Mash the eggplant flesh and add the ground paste. Add chopped onions just before serving.
6. Serve Vaingana Bhart as a side dish or with dosas.