A Konkani coconut curry with raw mango and an urad methi tempering.
Grated Coconut - 3/4 cup
Raw Mango/Kairi - 1 small
Coriander Seeds/Dhania - 1 tbsp
Dry Red Chillies (Byadagi) - 5
Urad Dal/Split Black Gram - 1/8 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi Seeds - 1/8 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind/Imli/Chinch - small piece
1. Heat about 1 tsp oil in a pan and add coriander seeds, red chillies. Saute till coriander seeds turn slightly brown and aromatic.
2. Grind coconut, turmeric, tamarind, roasted coriander seeds, red chillies with water to a slightly coarse paste.
3. Heat 1 - 2 tsp oil in a kadhai/wok and add urad dal, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida. When mustard seeds pop, add the ground paste, raw mango and salt. Add water according to the desired consistency.
4. Cook till (sliced) mango flesh turns soft.
5. Serve with hot steamed rice.