Easy Tasty Chicken Curry with yogurt/curd gravy and Tandoori Masala.
Chicken Drumsticks - 6
Yogurt/Curds/Dahi (Thick) - about 1 cup
Tandoori Masala - 1 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Paste - 1 tbsp
Cayenne Pepper/Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
Onion - 1 medium
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
How to prepare Chicken Tandoori Masala:
1. Marinating Chicken Drumsticks: In a mixing bowl, add yogurt, tanduri masala, garam masala, mustard paste, ginger garlic paste, cayenne pepper, turmeric and salt. Mix well and keep this marinade aside.
2. I used a store bought mustard paste which is used for salads, burgers,etc.
3. Discard the skin of the chicken drumsticks. I removed the skin since it has too much fat. Make 4 - 5 slits on each drumstick so that they get marinated well. Add the drumsticks in the marinade, mix to coat the drumsticks well. Add little more yogurt if required. Cover with a plastic food wrap. Keep the marinated chicken refrigerated for 10 - 12 hours.
4. Finely chop onions and cilantro.
5. Heat a thick bottom pan and add about 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and after a minute or so, add onions. Add little salt (just enough for onions) and black pepper powder. Saute till onions soften and turn slightly brown.
6. Now add marinated chicken pieces to the pan and saute for about a minute. Add the leftover yogurt marinade, mix and cook it covered at low flame. Add little water if required. Keep checking to avoid burning and overcooking of chicken. After 5 - 7 minutes, check if the chicken is cooked with a spatula. Taste for salt and chilli powder. Turn off the heat when chicken is cooked.
7. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot Chicken Curry with raw onions, lemon slice and steamed rice.