Sago/Sabudana - 1/2 cup
Sweet Potato/Ratali - 1 medium
Raw Peanuts/Groundnuts/Shenga - 1/2 cup
Cumin/Jeera Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder/Cayenne Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves/Kadipata - a sprig
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
Sugar or Jaggery - 1/2 tsp
Ghee/Clarified Butter or Oil
How to cook Sabudana Khichdi:
- Wash sago twice and drain the water. Add about 2 tbsp water. Cover and keep it aside for about 6 hours.
- Dry roast the peanuts till they slightly darken and skin starts coming off. Let the peanuts cool. Grind the peanuts to a coarse powder. I added the peanut skin too.
- After soaking, sago will turn almost double in size and soft to touch. Add salt, sugar, turmeric, red chili powder, black pepper powder and peanut powder to the soaked sago. Mix well.
- Peel the sweet potato skin and dice it into thin slices. Place them in a bowl of water. Finely chop cilantro leaves. Pat the curry leaves dry.
- Heat a pan and add about 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves. After few seconds, add sweet potatoes. Saute till sweet potatoes are cooked and turn crisp. Now add sago and cook at low flame for about 5 minutes or till all the ingredients are mixed well. Turn off the heat and add cilantro.