Ridge Gourd peels - about 1 cup
Grated/Shredded Coconut - 1 cup
Green chillies - 8
Tamarind - very small piece
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red chillies - 2
Curry leaves/Kadipata - a sprig
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/8 tsp
1. Heat a pan and roast the ridge gourd peels for about a minute, to get rid of moisture if any. Add few drops of oil and continue roasting till the raw smell goes off (about 3 - 5 minutes at low flame). The peels will wilt a little. Let it cool.
2. Slit the green chillies lengthwise and roast them in a pan with few drops of oil. Roast till colour changes slightly.
3. Grind roasted peels, roasted green chillies, coconut, tamarind and salt to a fine or slightly coarse paste.
4. For tempering/tadka, heat little oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and asafoetida. Turn off the heat when mustard seeds pop. Pour this tadka over the ground chutney.
5. Mix and serve with dosas or as a side dish with rice.