Ridge Gourd peels - about 1 cup
Grated/Shredded Coconut - 1 cup
Green chillies - 8
Tamarind - very small piece
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red chillies - 2
Curry leaves/Kadipata - a sprig
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/8 tsp
1. Heat a pan and roast the ridge gourd peels for about a minute, to get rid of moisture if any. Add few drops of oil and continue roasting till the raw smell goes off (about 3 - 5 minutes at low flame). The peels will wilt a little. Let it cool.
2. Slit the green chillies lengthwise and roast them in a pan with few drops of oil. Roast till colour changes slightly.
3. Grind roasted peels, roasted green chillies, coconut, tamarind and salt to a fine or slightly coarse paste.
4. For tempering/tadka, heat little oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and asafoetida. Turn off the heat when mustard seeds pop. Pour this tadka over the ground chutney.
5. Mix and serve with dosas or as a side dish with rice.
nice chutney recipe Uma..it is simple to make and healthy too...we used to make sabji out of ridge gourd peels.ReplyDelete
Recipes our mom's teach us are always the best ones! This dish looks delicious.ReplyDelete
Thats a nice recipe,looks delicious umaReplyDelete
I have never used this veggie in my cooking..my mom would make sabzi out of this sometimes...using ridge gourd skin for chutney sounds unique..liked the tempering ingredients for the chutney..looks de-lish.ReplyDelete
delicious chutney...lovely colour....greatReplyDelete
very delicious chutney uma ...never tried this combination of coconut n rigde gourd ...looks yummy n healthy...ReplyDelete
loved d healthy color of chutney...nice presentationReplyDelete
Delicious chutney Uma, very beautiful chutney too..ReplyDelete
I have never had this chutney before it sounds wonderful.ReplyDelete
That's a new recipe..looks delicious..ReplyDelete
nice..very nice way of using peels..gr8!ReplyDelete
uma if u post it early i can try when i prepared the ridgegourd chutney. anyway looks delicious ..the seasoning i really liked it..good one daReplyDelete
Love the chutney ..I make this too but this looks soo gudReplyDelete
Chutney looks very fresh and delicious, very good tip for dosa and idli's.ReplyDelete
'waste not, want not.'ReplyDelete
excellent way of using vegetable peel.
Uma loved the look nd its been yrs i tried this.... :) love it :)ReplyDelete
great i wanna taste this chutney with dosaReplyDelete
Nice chutney Uma. Mine is little different than yours. Nice to find a different alternative to the recipe!ReplyDelete
New one for me...looks so delicious...ReplyDelete
Thank you all for the sweet encouraging comments!ReplyDelete