A mixed dals recipe made with five lentils - Toor Dal, Mung Dal, Masoor Dal, Chana Dal and Urad Dal.
Toor Dal/Split Pigeon Peas - 1 tbsp
Mung Dal/Split Green Gram - 1 tbsp
Masoor Dal/Split Red Lentils - 1 tbsp
Chana Dal/Split Bengal Gram - 1 tbsp
Urad Dal/Split Black Gram - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1 small
Tomato - 1 medium
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Garlic - 3 big cloves
Green Chillies - 4
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
Curry Leaves - a sprig
Dry Red Chillies - 2
Cumin/Jeera Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
1. Mix all the five dals and wash them well. Cook dals till they soften. Lightly mash them.
2. Finely chop onions and cilantro leaves. Crush ginger and garlic. Medium chop tomatoes and green chillies. Pat the washed curry leaves dry.
3. Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin, crushed ginger, garlic, red chillies and curry leaves. Saute till garlic changes slightly brown. Now add onions and green chillies. Saute till onions turn soft.
4. Lastly, add cooked dals, diced tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Bring it to a boil and continue cooking till tomatoes turn soft. Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro.
5. Serve Mixed Dals Tadka with plain rice or jeera rice.