Naankhatai are Indian eggless cookies flavoured with cardamom (elaichi) and/or saffron (kesar). Generally ghee/clarified butter is used for making nankhatai, but I have used butter.
All purpose flour/Maida - 1 cup
Dessicated (Dry) Coconut - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter - 1/4 pound
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Green Cardamom/Elaichi - 2 pods
Pistachios/Pista - 5
1. In a microwave safe big bowl, add butter. Microwave for about a minute or till butter melts. Let the butter cool slightly.
2. Crush cardamom seeds to a fine powder in a mortar pestle. Finely chop pistachios.
3. In another bowl, add all purpose flour, dessicated coconut, baking soda and cardamom powder. Mix well with a spoon. Keep these dry ingredients aside.
4. Grind sugar crystals in a dry blender jar to a coarse powder. Add sugar to the butter and mix well with a spoon till sugar dissolves. I used a hand blender.
5. Now add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mix. Mix with a spoon or hands to form the cookie dough.
6. Divide the dough into 20 balls and slightly flatten them. Place the cookies on a baking sheet each a few inches apart. Top all the cookies with chopped pistachios. You can use any of your favourite nuts instead of pistachios.
7. Preheat the oven at 350 deg. F. Bake the cookies for 10 - 12 minutes or till the edges turn slightly brown. Let the cookies cool for 5 - 10 minutes and crispy cruncy Nankhatai are ready to devour.