Fenugreek/Methi leaves - a bunch
Potatoes - 2 medium
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Cashews - 5
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Green chillies - 6
Cloves - 4
Bay Leaf - 1
Biryani or Pulav Masala - 1/8 tsp (optional)
Butter or Oil
1. Roughly chop washed Fenugreek leaves (with tender stems). Peel the potato skin and dice it into medium size julienne pieces. Place the potatoes in a bowl of water.
2. Wash rice well, about 3 - 4 times in water. Let the rice drain in a colander for about 15 minutes.
3. Grind green chillies and coriander seeds with about 1/2 cup water. Save it for later.
4. Heat about 2 tbsp butter or oil in a pressure cooker. Add cloves and bay leaf. After a minute add diced potatoes. Saute potatoes for about 2 minutes. Add chopped fenugreek leaves and cashew pieces. Saute for a couple of minutes. Add drained rice and biryani masala. Fry for a minute and add ground chilli coriander paste. Add about 1 cup water, salt and mix well. (Add water based on the variety of rice.)
5. Pressure cook to one whistle. Let the pressure in the cooker drop down naturally, (15 - 20 minutes) before opening the lid. Mix and serve Alu Methi Rice with raita.