Ingredients: Bitter Gourd/Karela - 5 medium size Red Onion - 1 big Grated Garlic - 1 tsp
Grated Ginger - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 8
Aamchur or Chat Masala - 1/4 tsp
Jaggery or Brown Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Coriander/Dhania Seeds - 2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera Seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame/Til Seeds - 1 tsp Salt Oil
1. Wash the bitter gourds and scrape the outer rough layer of the gourds. Sprinkle about 1/4 tsp salt on the scrapings and save them for later. Slit the scraped gourds and discard the seeds. Rub salt on the scraped gourds as well. Keep it aside for about 2 hours. The purpose of applying salt is to reduce the bitterness.
2. Finely chop onions, green chillies and grate ginger, garlic. Grind coriander, cumin and sesame seeds to a coarse powder.
3. After 2 hours, wash the scrapings with water in a strainer to remove excess salt. Wash the scraped gourds as well. Press with hands to remove the excess water.
4. Add about 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add grated ginger garlic. Saute for few seconds and add chopped onions, green chillies. Add salt just enough for onions and saute till onions turn soft. Add ground powder, chat masala, grated jaggery, washed gourd scrapings and saute for 5 - 7 minutes at low flame. Check for salt and add more salt if required. Let this stuffing cool.
5. Stuff the bitter gourds with the above mixture. Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a flat pan and shallow fry the stuffed gourds till golden brown at low flame. Keep turning to roast all sides well. Add more oil if required. Cook it covered for 5 more minutes.