Green Peas in a creamy sauce. Malai refers to milk cream, but I have used whole milk for lesser calories.
This recipe is for my dear friend Priya who loves green peas and had asked for a recipe. Hope you like it Priya.
Green Peas/Matar - 2 1/2 cups
Bay Leaf/Tejpata/Tamal patra - 1
Cloves/Long/Lavang - 4
Cinnamon/Dalchini - an inch piece
Cashews or Almonds - about 15
Milk - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Green Chilies - 6
Garlic/Lahsun - 4 big cloves
Ginger/Adrak - 1/2 inch piece
Coriander Seeds/Dhane/Dhania - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds/Saunf/Badishep - 1 tsp
How to cook Indian Malai Matar Curry:
- Soak cashews in milk for 15 - 20 minutes. Roughly dice onions and tomatoes.
- Grind onions, tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, fennel seeds to a fine paste with little water. Keep this onion tomato paste aside.
- Grind soaked cashews with milk to a fine paste and save cashew paste for later.
- Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon. After few seconds, add green peas. Sauté at low flame for about 2 minutes so that the raw smell goes off.
- Add the ground onion tomato paste, salt and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Lastly, add cashew paste. Cook it covered till the gravy thickens, about 5 minutes at low flame.
Serve Creamy Green Peas Curry with roti or naan or rice.