Savoury Puffs or Pattice is a popular tea time snack in India. Whenever I make these puffs, I make it a point to add a few veggies as well.
Pastry Sheet - 1
Eggs - 2
Onion - 1 medium
Carrot - 1 big
Cabbage - 1 cup
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves - few sprigs
Garlic - 2 big cloves
Cumin/Jeera Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cayenne Pepper/Red Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
Chicken Masala or any other spice mix - 1/4 tsp
1. Thaw the pastry sheets as per the instructions. It takes about 45 minutes.
2. Boil the eggs in about 5 cups water for 12 - 15 minutes. After cooling, remove the shells and cut the eggs in halves.
3. Finely chop onion, cilantro, garlic. Wash, peel and grate or chop the carrot.
4. Heat 1 - 2 tbsp oil in pan. Add cumin seeds, chopped garlic. After a minute, add onions. Saute till onions turn soft, about 5 minutes. You can substitute onions with green/spring onions as well.
5. Add grated carrot, chopped cabbage. Continue cooking till veggies soften. Add salt, cayenne pepper, chicken masala, chopped cilantro and saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Let this vegetable mixture cool. You can also use vegetables like green peas, fresh or dry fenugreek/methi leaves, capsicum (bell pepper).
6. Cut the pastry sheet into 4 parts. Add the cooked vegetable mixture on each part. Place each egg half on the vegetables. Bring two opposite edges of the pastry sheet and seal with a drop of water. Repeat the same for the two opposite edges.
7. Place these stuffed pastries on an oil greased baking tray. Apply little oil on the top of the stuffed pastries as well.
8. Preheat the oven at 400 deg. F. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or till the pastries puff up and turn golden brown. Let them cool for about 5 minutes. Serve with tomato ketchup.