Since its not a spicy dish, this veggie raita is good for kids too.
Pumpkin/Kadoo/Lal Bhopla - 2 - 3 cups
Yogurt/Curd/Dahi - about 1/2 cup
Shredded Coconut (fresh or frozen) - about 1/4 cup
Green Chilies - 1
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - few sprigs
How to make Konkani Pumpkin Raita:
- Remove the pumpkin skin and discard the seeds. Dice the pumpkin into bite size pieces. Pressure cook or steam the pumpkin pieces with little salt until they turn soft. Let them cool.
- Instead of pumpkin, you can use Butternut Squash as well.
- Alternately, you can cook pumpkin with little water in a pot. Make sure to discard the cooking water/liquid, so that raita doesn't turn watery.
- Chop the green chili into 2 or 3 pieces. Finely chop cilantro leaves. If not green chilies, you can add fresh ground black pepper as well.
- In a mixing bowl, add cooked pumpkin, coconut, curd, salt, green chilies and cilantro. Mix well. While mixing, pumpkin will get slightly mashed, which is needed. Add more curd or more coconut to suit your taste.
- Pumpkin is slightly sweet, so mild chili flavor tastes good. You can add 1 tsp of grated jaggery or good or gool if you like.