Preparing Undhiyo involves three major steps - making Methi Muthiyas, chopping vegetables and making gravy/sauce. To save some time, you can use store bought Muthiyas and frozen chopped vegetables. Some Indian grocery stores have all mixed veggies with muthiyas together known as 'Surati Undhiyu Mix'.
Fenugreek/Methi Leaves - about 1 cup
Gram Flour/Chickpea Flour/Besan - about 1/2 cup
Green Chillies (minced) - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves - about 1 cup
Grated/Shredded Coconut - 1 cup
Roasted Peanuts/Groundnuts - 1/4 cup
Sesame Seeds/Til - 1 tbsp
Coriander Seeds/Dhane/Dhania - 1 tbsp
Ginger (minced) - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Jaggery or Sugar - 1 tsp
Carom Seeds/Ajwain/Owa - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Lime or Lemon Juice - about 1 tbsp
Vegetables: Baby Potatoes - 3, Baby Brinjals - 3, Suran/Yam, Sweet Potatoes, Raw Banana/Plantain, Toor/Pigeon Peas, Val Papdi/Surti Papdi - about 1/2 cup each
How to cook Gujarati Undhiyu Curry:
1. Preparing Methi Muthiyas: In a mixing bowl, add finely chopped fenugreek leaves, 1/2 tsp green chilli paste, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, little salt, turmeric, 1 tsp oil. Add gram flour and knead to form a firm dough using little water. Make small oval koftas of the dough. Deep fry these koftas on medium flame till koftas/muthiyas turn golden brown.
2. Grind grated coconut, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp green chillies and coriander leaves to a slightly coarse thick paste. Do not add too much water.
3. Peel the baby potatoes and make slits (+ sign) for both potatoes and baby brinjals. Stuff the baby potatoes and baby brinjals with the ground paste.
4. Heat 1 - 2 tsp oil in a thick bottom pan. Add asafoetida and carom seeds. After few seconds, add diced yam, sweet potatoes, raw banana, pigeon peas and val papdi. Saute for about a minute. Now add the ground paste, stuffed potatoes and baby brinjals. Mix gently and add about 1 cup water. Cook it covered till veggies turn tender.
5. Now add methi Muthiyas, garam masala, lemon juice, salt and jaggery. Mix gently. Cover and cook it covered for few more minutes. Serve healthy, tasty Oondhiyo with chapati/roti or puri.
6. Add more or less lemon juice and/or jaggery to suit your taste.