Kalakand is an Indian milk fudge which needs no introduction. Condensed milk adds a nice creaminess to any mithai and also reduces its cooking time. If you are looking for a hassle free and quicker version of Kalakand, this microwave recipe is perfect.
Ricotta Cheese - 15 oz (425 gm)
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 14 oz (396 gm)
Green Cardamom/Elaichi - 2 pods (seeds only)
Saffron/Kesar - few strands
Butter or Ghee (Clarified Butter) - about 1 tsp
Pistachios - 5
How to prepare Kalakand in a microwave:
- Crush the cardamom seeds and saffron strands in a mortar pestle to a fine powder. Finely chop pistachios or any nuts of your choice.
- Grease a big microwave safe bowl with few drops of ghee. Add condensed milk and ricotta cheese. Stir with a spoon so that ricotta cheese lumps are dissolved.
- Ricotta cheese works great as a substitute for fresh paneer/Indian cottage cheese.
- Microwave this milk and cheese mix for about 10 minutes. After every 2 minutes, stir with a spoon. Microwave again for 8 - 9 minutes. Keep checking and stir after every 1 minute to avoid burning. I microwaved this Kalakand mix for 19 minutes. This time may vary depending on the microwave.
- Add cardamom and saffron. Microwave it for a couple minutes more or less until it turns granular and moisture is lost.
- Grease a plate with few drops of ghee or butter. Spread the hot mix evenly and garnish with chopped nuts. While the mix is still hot, make cuts with a knife to form squares. Let it cool before cutting the square pieces. Keep it refrigerated. Serve Kalakand in cup cake liners.