Kaju Pista Roll is made with a Pistachio stuffing in a Cashew dough and is slightly time consuming for me. To save some time, I skipped the stuffing part. The stuffed Kaju Pista Roll looks more pretty, no doubt, but these Mixed Nuts Roll with Badam tastes even better.
Kaju/Cashews - 1/3 cup
Badam/Almonds - 1/3 cup
Pista/Pistachios - 1/3 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/4 cup
Milk Powder - 1 tbsp (optional)
Ghee/Clarified Butter - 2 tsp
Saffron/Kesar - few strands
Green Cardamom/Elaichi - 1 pod
How to make Mixed Nuts Roll/Barfi:
- Crush cardamom seeds and saffron strands in a mortar pestle to a fine powder.
- Grind cashews, almonds, pistachios in a dry blender jar to a fine powder.
- MAKE SUGAR SYRUP: In a thick bottom pan, add sugar and water. Keep stirring until sugar dissolves. Add powdered cardamom and saffron. Continue cooking until sugar syrup turns sticky. Touch the sugar syrup to check if it sticks between your thumb and index finger. Also, see if a single thread forms between your fingers. Your single thread consistency sugar syrup is ready for the next step.
- Lower the heat and add powdered nuts. Add 1 1/2 tsp ghee and continue stirring until the burfi mix starts leaving the edges of the pan. Take a small piece of the burfi mix and see if you can form a smooth round ball. If so, turn off the heat and add milk powder. If not, cook it for another minute or so.
- Grease a wooden board or work surface with 1/2 tsp ghee. When the burfi mix is cold enough to handle, knead it on the greased board. Divide the barfi mix into 10 parts and make roll it on the board to form smooth Barfi Rolls. Garnish it with edible silver foil if you like.
- Instead of rolls, if you would like to make Barfi/Katli, take a look at Kaju Katli.
Devour fresh Mixed Nuts Barfi Roll or keep them refrigerated. These rolls will stay fresh even at room temperature.