February is here and hope everyone had a great first month. My resolution for 2013 was to blog more about whole grain recipes, include more vegetables in our diet. One day at a time and everything in moderation. That takes me to our today's breakfast - healthy Oats twist to a South Indian Idli, with colorful carrots and bell peppers.
Quick Oats - 1 cup
Semolina/Rava/Sooji - 1/2 cup
Yogurt/Curd/Dahi - 1 cup
Carrots (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
Capsicum/Bell Pepper (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves - few sprigs
Cumin/Jeera Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
How to cook Instant Oats Idli with vegetables:
- Heat a pan and roast oats at low heat for 4 - 5 minutes. Set it aside on a plate to cool. After cooling, grind the roasted oats to a fine powder.
- Now roast semolina at low heat for 4 - 5 minutes or until it slightly changes color and turns aromatic. Let it cool.
- In a big mixing bowl, add finely chopped carrots, capsicum, cilantro leaves, cumin seeds, salt and yogurt. Mix well. Now add powdered oats and semolina. Mix again. Now add water, little at a time, until you get a thick batter. Batter consistency is like regular idli batter or cake batter. I added about 1 cup water. Lastly, add baking soda and mix well.
- Makes 12 idlis. You can add any other vegetables like cabbage, green onions, green beans, green peas, beetroot. Make it more colorful with sweet bell peppers.
- Grease the idli plates or a steel vessel with oil or cooking spray. Pour the batter in the idli molds, about half full. After cooking, idli batter will rise. Steam the idlis for about 12 minutes.