gluten free delicacies for lunch as well.
Prep work involves chopping vegetables, but still its far more convenient.
Idli Rava - 3/4 cup
Urad Dal Flour/Split Black Gram Flour - 1/2 cup
Yogurt/Dahi/Curds - 3/4 cup
Carrots (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
Bell Pepper (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
Green Onions/Scallions - 1/4 cup
Cilantro/Coriander/Kothimbir Leaves - few sprigs
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
How to cook Instant Appe / Paniyaram with vegetables:
- In a mixing bowl, add carrots, bell peppers, green onions, cilantro, salt and yogurt (preferably slightly sour). Make sure the veggies are very finely chopped, especially carrots. Or you can grate carrots as well. I have used full fat / whole milk yogurt. Use any other vegetables of your choice or you can skip vegetables entirely.
- Now add idli rava and urad dal flour to the bowl. Mix well. Add water, little at a time, to make a thick batter. Batter consistency is similar to idli batter or cake batter. Lastly, add baking soda and mix again.
- To make appe, you will need a pan with wells. Below is a picture of the Danish pan with wells. You might have seen it while reading my previous post of Appe / Paddu / Paniyaram.
- Heat the Danish / Appe pan. Grease the wells with cooking spray or brush them with oil. You can use melted butter or ghee/clarified butter as well.
- Add about 1 tbsp of batter in each well. Do not overfill the wells. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until pancakes/appe start to pull away from the sides of the well and have browned at the bottom. Using wooden skewers or picks, gently flip each pancake/appo and finish cooking on the other side.
- Grease the wells for each batch and repeat the process for the batter.
Serve hot Veggie Appe with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.