Everyone likes to binge on fried goodies once in a while. My favorite ... potato chips.... What if you could make your fried snack slightly nutritious! One way to do it is to try making variety of snacks at home. You might have read about the less oily, Microwave Potato Chips. Let me introduce another homemade savory snack made of Ragi or Nachni or Finger Millet flour. Chakli or Murukku is deep fried, but with the health benefits of gluten free finger millet.
Ragi/Nachni/Finger Millet Flour - 1 cup
Rice Flour - 1/4 cup
Urad Dal/Split Black Gram Flour - 1/4 cup
Ghee/Clarified Butter - 1 tbsp.
Oil - 1 tbsp.
White Sesame Seeds/Til - 1 tsp
Carom Seeds/Ajwain/Owa - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Oil for frying
How to make Nachni Chakli / Ragi Murukku:
- In a mixing bowl, add ragi flour, rice flour, urad dal flour, sesame seeds, carom seeds, chili powder, turmeric, salt and sugar. Mix well. Add oil and ghee and mix again. Now add water, little at a time and knead to make a soft, non sticky dough. Cover the bowl with plastic food wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Divide the dough into 2 balls. Grease the inner part of the Chakli Maker with oil. Place the star shaped plate and put one dough ball. Close it with the lid.
- When the oil turns medium hot, hold the chakli maker above the frying pan. Carefully turn the handle so that the star shaped dough falls in the pan.
- Alternatively, you can make round chakli/murukku on a parchment paper and slide it carefully to the medium hot oil.
- Deep fry the chakali, until the color slightly changes on both sides. Remove chakli when the bubbling of oil stops.
- Taste fried chakli for salt and other seasonings. Add more salt to the dough if required. Repeat the same for the dough and deep fry them in batches. Let the chakli cool down completely before storing in an airtight container.