Cold weather is all about comfort food for me. A hearty bowl of soup, creamy pasta, dal rice, noodles or fritters. Well, this list is quite long. Let me tell me about our today's lunch - a desi style Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Bread and cheese is always a hit combo. Add in some colorful veggies and your humble sandwich turns into a wholesome nutritious snack.
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato- 1 medium
Corn Kernels - 1/2 cup
Chopped Carrots - 1/2 cup
Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Grated Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese - 1 1/4 cup
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Aamchur/Dry Mango Powder- 1/2 tsp
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves - few sprigs
Oil - 2 tbsp
Bread Slices - 8
Butter or Ghee (Clarified Butter)
How to make Veggie Paneer Sandwich:
- Finely chop onions, tomatoes, cilantro and veggies of your choice. I used 1.5 cups of colorful frozen vegetables - corn, carrots and peas. Use any veggies of your choice.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and sauté until they turn soft and tender. Next, add the veggies - corn, carrots and peas. Sauté for a couple minutes and cook it covered for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add the spices - chili powder, garam masala, aamchur and salt. Sauté for a minute or so. Next, add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are slightly mashed.
- Lastly, add grated paneer and chopped cilantro. Sauté until all the ingredients are mixed well. Do not overcook it. Let the stuffing be a little moist. Turn off the heat.
- Heat a grill pan. Apply butter or ghee to one side of a bread slice. Place the stuffing on the other side. Cover it with another bread slice and slightly press it with a spatula. Apply butter and roast both sides until crisp and golden brown. Repeat the same with the remaining bread slices.
- Serve hot Veggie Cheese Sandwich with ketchup or any other dip of your choice.