Boiled Potatoes - 3 medium
Yellow Peas/Vatana - 1 cup
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Ajwain/Owa/Carom seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin/Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/4 tsp
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - 1 cup
Mint/Pudina leaves - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 5
Dates/Khajur - 1/2 cup
Jaggery or Brown Sugar - 2 tbsp
Tamarind/Imli - 1/4 cup
Finely chopped Raw onions
Shev or Bhujia or Farsaan
1. Soak yellow peas overnight in water. Wash the soaked peas and cook them with about 2 cups water till very soft. Add more water if required. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric, salt, asafoetida and bring to a boil.
2. For green (hot) chutney, grind 2:1 cilantro and mint, green chillies, salt to a fine paste. Add very little water for a thick chutney.
3. For sweet sour (khatti meethi) chutney grind dates, tamarind and jaggery to a fine paste using little water. Soaking the dates in hot water for 20 - 30 minutes will make grinding easy. Change the amount of tamarind and dates to suit your taste for sweetness and sourness.
4. Dilute both the chutneys with more water if you like. Add little more salt if required.
6. In a serving bowl or plate, add about 1 - 2 tbsp boiled peas, add green and sweet sour chutney as much you like, a pinch of chat masala (optional) and mix well. Add 1 or 2 fried potato patties.
7. Garnish with finely chopped raw onions, shev and cracked puris.