Kachi Dabeli is a Gujarati snack, now a popular street food in most Indian cities. Dabeli is a potato sandwich with a fruity sweetness, a tangy tamarind flavour and a crunchy masala peanut taste. A onion free, garlic free Dabeli recipe.
In an authentic recipe, pomegranate/anar/dalimb seeds are used, but sweet grapes work perfectly fine as a substitute.
Boiled Potatoes - 3 medium
Dabeli Masala - 1 1/2 tbsp
Peanuts/Groundnuts/Shenga - about 1/2 cup
Cayenne Pepper/Red Chilli Powder - 1/8 tsp
Black Pepper Powder/Miri - 1/8 tsp
Pomegranate/Anar or Grapes - about 1/2 cup
Coriander or Cilantro Leaves - few sprigs
Pav or Buns
Butter or Oil
Kala Namak/Sendha Namak/Indian Rock Salt
1. Peel the boiled potatoes and mash or grate them. Finely chop cilantro. Cut the grapes into 2 pieces each.
2. Masala Peanuts/Groundnuts - Roast the peanuts at low flame till they slightly darken. Peel the skin and slightly crush the peanuts so that they are halved. Drizzle few drops of oil, black pepper powder, cayenne pepper, pinch of salt on the halved peanuts. Mix well so that the peanuts are coated well.
3. Dabeli Potato Mix - Heat a thick bottom pan and add about 2 tsp oil. Add dabeli masala and saute for a minute or so. Add 1/2 cup water, salt and grated potatoes. Cook at low flame till a thick potato mix is formed. Pour it on a plate or tray and spread it evenly.
4. Toppings: Add masala peanuts, halved grapes, chopped cilantro all over the potato mix. You can add chopped raw onions as well if you like.
5. Cut the Pav or Buns in 2 parts. Apply Pudina and Dates Tamarind Chutneys on the buns as much as you want. Chutneys are optional. Place a part of the potato mix and finally top it with sev.
6. Roast the stuffed Buns on a griddle/tawa with a little butter. Roasting is optional. Enjoy sweet sour Dabelis.